All stupidness in the title aside, you people who went and saw The Vow should be ashamed of yourselves. The Vow? Really?!? Come on! We’re talking about Channing freaking Tatum here, not Ryan Gosling. Guess who else was in that dud of a romantic film? Rachel “Let’s go to the well one too many times with this one” McAdams. Been there done that. For shame, on all of you…the least you could have done was give George Lucas all of your movie-going money.
So, the weekend that was saw The Vow take the number one spot, bringing in whopping $42M. The Vow narrowly beat out the #2 movie at the box office this past weekend in Safe House, which brought in nearly $40M. Bringing in at #3 was The Rock’s horrible…erm…I mean sequel Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, which somehow managed to make close to $28M. The fourth biggest opening film this weekend was George Lucas’ attempt to get more money before he dies with Star Wars: Episode 1 – The Phantom Menace, which made $23M. Rounding out the top 5 at the box office this weekend was Chronicle, which only brought in $12M after making over $30M in its debut weekend.
Here is the rest of the top 10:
*Weekend numbers in millions – (total)*
1) The Vow – $41.7 (NEW)
2) Safe House – $39.3 (NEW)
3) Journey 2: The Mysterious Island – $27.5 (NEW)
4) Star Wars: Episode 1 – The Phantom Menace – $23 (NEW)
5) Chronicle – $12.3 ($40.1)
6) The Woman in Black -$10.3 ($35.4)
7) The Grey – $5.08 ($42.8)
8) Big Miracle – $3.9 ($13.2)
9) The Descendants – $3.5 ($70.7)
10) Underworld Awakening – $2.5 ($58.9)
* A quick note about The Descendants; you might have noticed (if you read this weekly write up) that The Descendants has been hanging around the top 10 for quite a while. It’s not that it’s a bad movie, because it’s actually quite good, it’s mainly because Fox Searchlite has staggered its release across the country. Therefore it’s opening in new cities every weekend allowing it to stay fresh and make money.*
Via Box Office Mojo